Wednesday, August 10, 2011

got boundaries?

We all have boundaries. Some of which are necessary for survival, safety, organization in our homes, etc. We even place limits on our fun.

But what about other things, like sharing the Word of God? Or reaching out to the needy? I don't know about you, but I tend to set boundaries around my comfort zones. I get nervous or down right scared when my “comfort boundaries” are pushed. I tend to stay within my own circle of friends, my own church, my own little world.

What would happen if we extended ourselves beyond our comfort zone?

A few weeks ago while my family and I were at the lake, I overheard a mom yelling at her son, who looked to be around four years old. She told him to go and play so she could read her book. She seemed very annoyed with her son. My first reaction was, "Oh that poor little boy." Why would his mom speak to him that way? I felt sorry for the little boy and wanted to give him a hug. I also felt a bit of contempt towards his mom. Maybe she needed the hug! Or maybe she just needed a friend to talk to.

I’ve let far too many moments like this pass me by in life. I felt a wave of desire come over me to talk with her. As we spoke, my heart went out to her. She had been through some rough spots. Her son had just finished a round of chemo, and this was the only day she had off from work for the next 17 days. She just wanted to relax and read her book.

We talked a bit more. Our sons played together. Time passed. I nervously invited her to MOPS. I don't know if she will come, or if I will ever see her again.

The point is, that was extremely uncomfortable for me. If I had stayed within my predetermined boundaries, I would have never known her story. Perhaps she would have never found out about MOPS either.

God has a plan for us. That plan may be for someone that comes into our lives. Are we willing to risk missing a blessing by staying within our preset boundaries? I challenge you to move outside of your comfort zone.

Got boundaries? Maybe it's time to reevaluate them!

No comments:

Post a Comment